Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bioshock and the Infinite Hype

Bioshock Infinite is easily one of my most anticipated games of the year. Available March 26th, everything is indicating that it is "game of the year" worthy. A variety of collector's editions are available, I have my Songbird edition (MSRP $149.99) already pre-ordered. Plunking down $149.99 feels daunting as a consumer, but I'm going for it! That said, I am having some small concerns.


The biggest problem is anticipation yields disappointment. Every year certain games get hyped beyond belief, and they either do not meet expectations for reviewers or the consumer. Last year Diablo 3 received this heavy backlash, even as the release was nearing. Was all of this backlash warranted? I'm not so sure it was, but it was there and people really felt strongly one way or another. 

Other times these types of games garner amazing reviews, and people expect nothing less than perfection. Uncharted 3 comes to mind when I think of outstanding reviews. Uncharted 3 was an excellent game, but it did not live up to the expectations that I had built up. Is that my fault? I guess so. But for me, Uncharted 2 was a consistent and exciting adventure with some notable set pieces. The entire game was exhilarating and became, for many, an instant classic. On the other hand, Uncharted 3 was all about the set pieces, and the in-between was a slog. For me, the game lost something. Expectations are awful because it seems that it is impossible for the standards to be met on any level.

This collector's edition is double the price of a new game, half the price of a Wii U. It's an expensive endeavor and the question becomes, will I find $150 of enjoyment? I hope so.

Today, I'm putting my expectations in check. I'm expecting a good game, maybe even a great game. But today I advocate for lower expectations. That way when the game even shows a glimmer of goodness, you cannot help but be impressed. 

All that said - I remade one of my most popular items today, which inspired my post today. Be sure to have a look. And remember: PREVIEWSALE saves you 15% for the month of February!

Bioshock mega marvel inspired by Captain Slam's Megamalgamation http://www.captainslam.deviantart.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment